Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Parakeet @ NUS

Woke up super early yesterday to catch the vehicle to bring us for diving. Was walking through out of the tunnel through university hall and out towards a line of small trees when this bird flew away just in front of me. It was totally green and camouflaged, so no wonder I cant see it. It was a parakeet!



Luckily my half spolit camera was always with me and I immediately started snapping away. Felt a real dire need for a more powerful zoom after this and the pink dolphins encounter.



The parakeet was munching away at some unriped legumes at the row of trees. Is this a male Alexandrine Parakeet? Highly likely that I'm wrong, since I'm not a birder. Do correct me if so. Update >> Thanx to Hai ren, this bird is the Rose-ringed Parakeet. Sorry for the mistake!

According to Wiki, this is a male with its characteristic black strap at its neck. They are very intelligent and one of the best talking parakeets, which can learn up to 250 vocabularys. They are the few parakeets that have successfully adapted to the urban lifestyle.


And it soon flew away up the raintree (i think) and forming a nice siluoette picture.

2 comments:

Ivan said...

Think it's a rose-ringed parakeet (Psittacula krameri).

TS said...

O..thanx! ur right, I did noticed its blue tail feathers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...