Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tagged Myna feeding nectar

The Sea Apple (Syzygium grande) out my kitchen window has been flowering luxuriously  recently and I decided to get some photos of their pom pom-like flowers for my collection.

IMG_0214

There were many little pollinators buzzing around the flowers.

IMG_0209 
A Javan Mynas (Acridotheres javanicus) flew in after I finished taking the pictures and it hopped around the tree putting its beak into the flowers. It was only later when I was processing my images that I realised that this bird was tagged (Look the the grey ring at its leg).

IMG_0223 
Another picture of the bird on the another nearby inflorescence.

IMG_0217

At first I had thought that it was just feeding on the insects attracted to the flowers. But it should be instead feeding on the nectar since BESG blog had recorded this bird doing it before.

I wonder what research this bird was ringed for. Any ideas?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...